08 February 2022

Meet the Readers: Icarian


For men in Japan, wearing fundoshi is a traditional activity. Outside of Japan, many people (including myself) discovered fundoshi through pictures, articles, or the internet. Inspired to try it for ourselves, we learn to tighten Japan’s historic loincloth and to pay tribute to its rich cultural heritage.

In recent years, I’ve been honored to learn that some of you have learned to tie a fundoshi through reading this blog. It is truly gratifying to know that others have found the path to a fundoshi lifestyle here, and I pledge to continue spreading the word.

For the first post published in 2022, I was privileged to have a conversation with Icarian, a fundoshi enthusiast residing in Sweden. You can read our conversation after the page break.

F4A: 

How did you first learn about fundoshi? 

Icarian:

It was a long time ago, I cannot really remember when. First, the sumo wrestlers with their exposed bottoms made me curious about their garments. Later on, images of Japanese festival Hadaka Matsuri blew my mind away. It was mesmerizing to see so many men wearing their fundoshi in public, so naturally! Since then, I have always been interested in finding more and more about it.

F4A:

What drew you to it? 

Icarian:

The amazing beauty - physically and philosophically speaking - of those men in fundoshi. Being raised in a more conservative environment, seeing them unapologetically showing their bodies was like going to heaven. Alive!


F4A:

How did you decide to try wearing fundoshi?

Icarian: 

haha after reading your blog, specially when you said how easy it was to cut an old bed sheet to make your own. That's precisely what I did, around two months ago. Yes, I am pretty new in wearing a fundoshi.

F4A:

What was it like tying it for the first time?

Icarian:

A dream come true, in a way. I never felt so sexy, so masculine. It was very pleasant. Actually, in spite of the profound admiration, wearing a fundoshi never crossed my mind, until I read your blog.


F4A: 

What kind of activities have you done while wearing fundoshi? 

Icarian: 

Because it boosts my stamina in a certain way, I wear it when doing housework - which I don't like much lol - or exercising at home in these pandemic times. I find my focus and will power wearing a fundoshi.


F4A: 

Do you have any plans or daydreams that involve fundoshi? 

Icarian: 

Oh, yeah, I do have! Sharing the practice with a friend, or a small group, in a sexy male bonding way, is one of them. Maybe a small fundoshi circle where we could meet regularly for different activities wearing just a fundoshi, indoors or out there in nature. Hiking somewhere in the mountains or spending a weekend in a cabin in the woods would be awesome.


F4A: 

Do you have friends who wear fundoshi? 

Icarian: 

Unfortunately, not. Not yet - I hope. But I am new to it. One thing is clear: from now on, any lover, occasional or not, will have to allow me to tie him a fundoshi - preferably combined with a pair of short white socks. Doing this to another man is the ultimate male bonding experience! Yes, I have done it already :-D 


F4A: 

What would you tell someone who expressed interest in wearing fundoshi? 

Icarian:

Can I tie it for you, please, please? 

F4A: 

You may tie a fundoshi on me anytime, …! Particularly if we are spending time together at that mountain cabin ;) Thank you for sharing your fundoshi experiences with us. Please feel free to share more photos any time. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IMPORTANT NOTE: Just in case any readers missed my previous message about it, I wanted to restate that the old email address for Fundoshi 4 All is unfortunately no longer active. 

I was locked out of the account last summer and have been unable to regain access. Many treasured connections have been lost, but I have established a new email account and I hope old friends and new friends alike will reach out! 

You can find the new F4A email by visiting the “Contact” link above. I look forward to hearing from you, and seeing your photos dressed in fundoshi! 

— Ryan

No comments: