28 August 2018

Reader Submission: Doug

I'm excited to share an interview with Doug Edwards, a fellow fundoshi enthusiast Iet via tumblr.


Q: How did you discover fundoshi? What was it like putting your first fundoshi on?

A: I first saw the fundoshi on Tumblr.  It was so intriguing that I had to know more.  I researched it online and then proceeded to find some material and make my own.  I soon found out how easy they were to make and even easier to put on.  I found the perfect width and length for me and love wearing them now.



The first time I put one on I couldn't believe how good it felt.  I had feared that there would be too much material in the back for comfort between the cheeks but that's not the case.  Of course the finer the material the more comfortable it is but feels great.  I love the braiding in between the cheeks and the way it looks.  It's now my favorite underwear.



Q: What do you enjoy about wearing fundoshi?

A: It's mostly the comfort.  Once I got used to tying it on I found I could make the pouch as loose or as snug as I wanted.  Getting that perfect pouch makes all the difference.  I love the way it looks when I take the time to do that extra amount of braiding and twisting of the fabric.  Now when I go to the store I'm always on the lookout for new and more exciting material to make a new one out of.  I love that I can make my own underwear now.  The snug, custom fit around the waist makes wearing them a total pleasure.  I've never had one come loose and access is as easy as pulling the top layer to the left and the bottom layer to the right for easy access.  Love it!





Q: How often do you wear fundoshi, and what kinds of situations do you wear fundoshi in?

A: I wear my fundoshi at least every other day.  I've worn them to work outdoors and indoors.  Wearing them all day is no problem.  I go to the gym after work and never had a problem no matter what my workout consists of.  I love them when walking or running on the treadmill.   I've worn them on dates, to school, and even swam with one on.  I wish I didn't have to cover them up when wearing them in public.  I wear them around the house all the time.  Love the freedom with support they provide.




Q: Any other thoughts or stories you'd like to share?

A: I wore one to the gym one time and went thru my usual workout.  As I was getting ready to take a shower I was asked by a total stranger what I was wearing.  I told him it's called a fundoshi.  As we showered, we talked back and forth from the shower stalls a little about it's origin and how to make one for yourself.  Afterwards, I pulled out a clean one from my gym bag and showed him how easy and simple they were to put on.  He was fascinated with the ease and look of it.  I promised to bring him one the next day.  He offered to pay for it but I told him that when I bought new material it was wide enough to make several so I had extras.  I've made a fundoshi friend for life and turned another person on to the joy and wonder of wearing a fundoshi.  I'll keep spreading the news as much and as often as I can!

Doug Edwards


Thanks Doug, I really enjoyed hearing about your personal experience discovering fundoshi, seeing your photos, and especially hearing about your encounter at the gym!

Please keep in touch, we'd love to hear and see more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the soft material. If it's not soft enough, I wash if a few times with jeans or some other rough material and they soften right up. A little fabric softener helps too. Figure out what exact width works for you and you'll be so happy! Love the posted pics. Great material choices.

Doug

Ryan Rokushaku said...

I find the more I launder my fundoshi, the softer they get. A few have started to disintegrate after hundreds of washes... they are sooooo soft and sheer right before they fall apart.